Questions to consider when writing specific goals:
- Why is this a goal?
- What do I want to achieve?
- When do I want to accomplish this goal?
- Who needs to be included to complete this goal?
- Where will I complete this goal? (Necessary only when a goal needs a mandated physical environment to be completed; i.e. I will run five miles on the track every day.)
Questions to consider when writing measurable goals:
- What metrics will I use to track this goal?
- Are there multiple ways to measure success for this goal?
- What quantifiable change to the business am I hoping to achieve by accomplishing my goals?
Questions to consider when writing attainable goals:
- Do I have the tools and/or resources I need to complete this goal?
- Do I have the skill set to accomplish this goal?
- Is this goal possible, and if so, what is my action plan?
Questions to consider when writing relevant goals:
- Does the goal align with my overarching company objective?
- Does this goal make sense with our business plan?
- Will accomplishing this goal move my business forward?
Questions to consider when writing time-bound goals:
- When will I complete the goal?
- What target dates should I meet to complete the goal?
- Should I set this goal now or in a later quarter?
if our goal is to increase the number of leads we generate. How can we turn this into a SMART goal?
- Specific — The sales and marketing team will work together to generate 30 new leads through an email nurture campaign dedicated to our prospects in the healthcare industry.
- Measurable — We will track the number of leads closed and email engagement to measure the success of our campaign.
- Attainable — We have an email marketing program in place and a list of our prospects readily available.
- Relevant — Our goal aligns with our company mission to provide better project management software to the healthcare industry.
- Timely — We will roll this email campaign out over a 4-week period starting on July 28th. Emails will be sent on Tuesdays, and we will continue to track the success of our emails for a 6-week period.